Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Legal assistants and paralegals prepare legal documents, maintain records and files and conduct research to assist lawyers or other professionals. Notaries public administer oaths, take affidavits, sign legal documents and perform other activities according to the limitations of their appointment. Trademark agents advise clients on intellectual property matters. Independent paralegals provide legal services to the public as allowed by government legislation, or provide paralegal services on contract to law firms or other establishments. Legal assistants and paralegals are employed by law firms, by record search companies and in legal departments throughout the public and private sectors. Independent paralegals are usually self-employed. Trademark agents are employed by law firms and legal departments throughout the public and private sectors, trademark development and search firms or they may be self-employed. Notaries public are employed by government and in the public and private sectors or they may be self-employed.
commercial law clerk, corporate paralegal, family law paralegal, independent paralegal, land titles examiner, law clerk, legal assistant, legal researcher, litigation legal assistant, notary public, paralegal, real estate law clerk, title searcher, trademark agent.
- Assist lawyers by interviewing clients, witnesses and other related parties, assembling documentary evidence, preparing trial briefs, and arranging for trials
- Prepare wills, real estate transactions and other legal documents, court reports and affidavits
- Research records, court files and other legal documents
- Draft legal correspondence and perform general office and clerical duties.
- Administer oaths and take affidavits and depositions
- Witness and certify the validity of signatures on documents
- May draft contracts, prepare promissory notes and draw up wills, mortgages and other legal documents
- May arrange probates and administer the estates of deceased persons.
- Advise clients on intellectual property matters and represent clients before the Registrar of Trade-Marks on matters including prosecution of applications for registration of trademarks
- Advise on the registrability of trademarks, trademark licensing requirements, transfer of intellectual property and protection of existing trademark rights
- Represent clients at proceedings before the Trade Marks Opposition Board and in related proceedings
- May represent clients internationally in consultation with foreign associates and attorneys.
- Represent clients in small claims court and in other lower court proceedings, at tribunals and before administrative bodies
- Advise clients and take legal action on landlord and tenant matters, traffic violations, name changes and other issues within their jurisdictions.
Outlook & Prospects for Paralegal and Related Occupations in Laval Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Laval Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2013-05-06|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Laval region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Sep 09 - Sep 13, 2013
- Pharmaceutical business Servier Canada announced a $16.3M investment in a new clinical research centre in Laval. This investment, in addition to consolidating 56 jobs, will create 38 researcher and specialist positions. (available in French only)
- The Government of Québec is investing $6.7M in the Altasciences pharmaceutical company in Laval to fund the acquisition of Vince & Associates Clinical Research The investment will result in the creation of 75 new jobs in the years ahead. (available in French only)
- The pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim has announced the closing of its research center in Laval, laying off 166 employees (available in French only)
- Date Modified: