Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes anthropologists, archaeologists, geographers, historians, linguists, political scientists, sociologists and other professional occupations in social science not elsewhere classified. They are employed in universities and throughout the public and private sectors.
anthropologist, archaeologist, geographer, gerontologist, historian, linguist, political scientist, psychometrician, psychometrist, sociologist.
- Anthropologists conduct studies of the origin, development and functioning of human societies and cultures and of human evolution, changing physical characteristics and geographical distribution.
- Archaeologists study artifacts (objects and structures) to reconstruct past economic, social, political and intellectual life.
- Geographers study and analyse the spatial distribution and interrelationship of physical, biological, cultural and social patterns.
- Historians conduct research into one or more phases or aspects of past human activity and interpret and document findings.
- Linguists study the origin, structure and development of languages and apply linguistic theory to problems in teaching, translation and communications.
- Political scientists conduct research into the theory, origin, development, interrelationships and functioning of political institutions, political movements and individual political behaviour.
- Psychometricians develop psychological tests, scales and measures, and may administer or apply and interpret such tests, scales and measures. Psychometrists administer and score psychological tests, usually under the supervision of a registered psychologist.
- Sociologists study the development, structure, social patterns and interrelationships of human society.
- Other social science professionals included in this group specialize in particular areas of social sciences and humanities disciplines. These include criminologists (specialists in the study of crime and criminals), gerontologists (specialists in the phenomena and problems of ageing), graphoanalysts (specialists in handwriting analysis), and others.
Specialization usually exists within each of these occupations.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Professional Occupations in Social Science, n.e.c. in Laval Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Laval Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2013-05-06|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Laval region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Laval-based Motel Idéal is investing $3M to expand and renovate its facilities and change its name to Ô Motel et suites. They plan to add 20 new rooms and create close to a dozen new jobs. (available in French only)
- The labour dispute, which has been going on since May 2012, at the Mapei plant in Laval has ended. Of the 115 original workers, only 25 accepted the company¿s last offer; the others were laid off during the strike. (available in French only)
- Thanks to an investment of close to $1M, Institut de Formation en Aérospatiale (IFA) inaugurated its new customized training centre in Laval, Centre AéroCompétence, designed to train specialized workers (available in French only)
- Metro is closing its distribution centre in Québec City and will be grouping together its fruit, vegetable and dairy product distribution activities in its Laval-based distribution centre, which opened in 2013. This operation will create 80 jobs. (available in French only)
- Club d¿aviron de Laval announced the expansion of its training facilities, which will include the construction of a rowing tank, a practice area, a weight room and change rooms. This project is estimated at $3M. (available in French only)
- Construction of the new residential project, Habitat Veridis, recently began in Laval in the Auteuil sector. On completion, this project will number 2 000 units. Phase I will comprise 700 units, to be delivered beginning in May 2014. (available in French only)
- A new indoor trampoline centre, Isaute, opened its doors in early November in Laval. This new $1.5M facility has led to the creation of nearly 45 new jobs. (available in French only)
- Construction will begin at La Place de la Gare in the Centre de Laval industrial park. Work completion on this $5M commercial and residential building project of 73,000-sq.-ft. capacity is scheduled for the spring of 2014. (available in French only)
- Construction on a community housing co-op will start in spring 2014 in Laval. This project of 166 public housing units, Coopérative de solidarité du Bois Ellen, will require an investment of $33M and will be completed in summer 2015. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: