Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Purchasing and inventory clerks process purchasing transactions and maintain inventories of materials, equipment and stock. They are employed by retail and wholesale establishments, manufacturing companies, government agencies and other establishments.
inventory analyst, inventory clerk, inventory control clerk, inventory planner, procurement clerk, purchasing clerk, purchasing clerk assistant.
- Review requisition orders for accuracy and verify that materials, equipment and stock are not available from current inventories
- Source and obtain price quotations from catalogues and suppliers and prepare purchase orders
- Calculate cost of orders and charge or forward invoices to appropriate accounts
- Process purchases within purchasing authority
- Contact suppliers to schedule deliveries and to resolve shortages, missed deliveries and other problems
- Prepare and maintain purchasing files, reports and price lists.
- Monitor inventory levels as materials, equipment and stock are issued, transferred within an establishment or sold to the public using manual or computerized inventory systems
- Compile inventory reports, recording the quantity, type and value of materials, equipment and stock on hand, using manual or computerized inventory systems
- Prepare requisition orders to replenish materials, equipment and stock
- Maintain stock rotation and dispose of and account for outdated stock
- Enter data for production scheduling, stock replenishment/relocation and inventory adjustments
- Reconcile physical inventories with computer counts.
Outlook & Prospects for Purchasing and Inventory Clerks in Laval Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Laval region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
This is due primarily because of the growing number of investments in new commercial developments. 57% of these clerks who live in Laval travel to Montreal every day to work. Computerization in ordering and inventory management and new organizational strategies (based on versatility, just-in-time) have increased the level of skills required to obtain or retain a job.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The gouvernement du Québec has announced investments of close to $89M in road infrastructures of the Laval region throughout the next couple of years, which will be spread across 19 road building sites (available in French only)
- Le Chantier, a Laval professional training centre that specializes in construction trades, will invest $7M in the expansion of its establishment, which is due to begin in September 2014 (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Station des Sports, a restaurant/sports bar chain, will be opening a sixth operation in Laval at the former Brasserie Place des Saules location in late April (available in French only)
- Les Comptoirs Germain has spent $1.3M on a new building in Laval in order to relocate its plant and thereby increase its production capacity. It currently employs about a dozen people. (available in French only)
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- A community housing house for the homeless is now open in Laval. The inauguration of L'Aviron follows a $4.8M investment and counts 30 units. (available in French only)
Week of Feb 25 – Mar 01, 2013
- The Ivanhoé Cambridge real estate company announced the construction of an office building worth an estimated $30M at the Centropolis site in Laval (available in French only)
- Date Modified: