Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Public works and maintenance labourers perform a variety of labouring activities to maintain sidewalks, streets, roads and similar areas. They are employed by municipal, provincial and federal government public works departments or by private contractors under contract to governments.
garbage collector, helper – garbage collection, municipal labourer, parking meter collector, public works labourer, road maintenance worker, sewer maintenance worker, sidewalk cleaner.
- Clean and maintain sidewalks, streets, roads and public grounds of municipality and other areas, working as member of crew
- Sweep debris and shovel snow from streets, sidewalks, building grounds and other areas, and load snow and debris into carts or trucks
- Shovel cement and other materials into cement mixers, spread concrete and asphalt on road surfaces using shovels, rakes and hand tampers, and perform other activities to assist in maintenance and repair of roads
- Spread sand or salt on sidewalks for snow and ice control
- Dig ditches and trenches using shovels and other hand tools
- Operate jackhammers and drills to break up pavement
- Operate power mowers and cutters to cut lawns and grass along roadsides
- Cut trees, trim branches, rake leaves, apply fertilizer and insecticides by hand, and water public lawns, trees and shrubs
- Load and unload trucks with supplies and equipment
- Collect money from coin boxes of parking meters along established route
- Collect and load refuse on garbage trucks
- Assist equipment operators to secure attachments to equipment or trucks
- Assist in routine maintenance and repair of equipment
- Assist skilled tradespersons such as carpenters, plumbers and mechanics
- May operate mobile sidewalk-cleaning equipment.
Outlook & Prospects for Public Works and Maintenance Labourers in Moncton--Richibucto Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Moncton--Richibucto Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-05-29|
Currently the chances of qualified Public Works and Maintenance Labourers finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area.
Job opportunities in this occupation can be found in these industries: public administration and administrative and support services. There are occasionally job openings, but the working conditions often involve temporary, part-time or on-call work. Permanent full-time jobs are harder to obtain. As the federal, provincial and municipal governments are seriously discussing measures to help balance their budgets, a number of cuts can be expected in hiring and spending. Workers in this occupation must be able to handle heavy objects. Good physical fitness can be a job requirement, and workers can expect to be required to work outdoors under variable weather conditions.
Employment opportunities for Public Works and Maintenance Labourers may vary in different communities across the province. You may want to check for specific opportunities in your community. Also, people who are able to work elsewhere may want to research the opportunities for this occupation in other areas of NB or in other provinces across the country.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Sep 02 - Sep 06, 2013
- A representative of Excellium Inc. announced that they will be taking measures to maximize shareholder value, in light of continuing operational and financial challenges. Measures being considered by the Moncton-based security firm include the sale of all or part of the firm, a privatization transaction, or the entering into partnerships or other business combinations.
- J.D. Irving opened its new $16M head office building in Dieppe, which houses 560 employees with space for 100 more. The Midland Drive building is the head office for Midland Transport, Cavendish Farms, Cavendish Agri Services, Cavendish Produce, Irving Tissue and Irving Personal Care.
- Date Modified: