Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Elementary school and kindergarten teachers teach basic subjects such as reading, writing and arithmetic or specialized subjects such as English or French as a second language at public and private elementary schools. Elementary school librarians are included in this unit group.
French immersion teacher – elementary school, elementary school teacher, elementary school teacher, English as a second language, elementary school teacher, French as a second language, kindergarten teacher, librarian, elementary school, primary school teacher, remedial teacher – elementary school, special education teacher – elementary school, supply teacher – elementary school.
- Prepare courses for presentation to students according to approved curriculum
- Teach students using a systematic plan of lessons, discussions, audio-visual presentations and field trips
- Lead students in activities to promote their physical, mental and social development and their school readiness
- Assign and correct homework
- Prepare, administer and correct tests
- Evaluate the progress of students and discuss results with students, parents and school officials
- Identify children's individual learning needs
- Prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help
- Participate in staff meetings, educational conferences and teacher training workshops
- May supervise teachers' aides and student teachers.
Elementary school and kindergarten teachers may specialize in such areas as special education or second language instruction.
Outlook & Prospects for Elementary School and Kindergarten Teachers in Moncton--Richibucto Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Currently the chances of qualified Elementary School and Kindergarten Teachers finding employment are considered to be limited in the local area.
The majority of elementary school and kindergarten teachers work in the educational services industry. There are employment opportunities in the region, but mostly for substitute teaching and short-term contracts. Teachers sometimes have to be willing to work in more rural areas to obtain permanent jobs. Enrolment has been increasing for several years in School District 1. Immersion teacher positions are more difficult to staff, as are the more specialized positions requiring a Master's degree. It should be noted that the New Brunswick government has announced the need for spending cuts in all departments and that the Department of Education will not be spared from those cuts. Responsibility for early childhood development has been assigned to the Department of Education, which is now called the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. The retirement rate is above average in this occupation, and job openings will therefore be tied to retirements. However, because the number of registrations for this occupation is increasing, the number of job seekers will undoubtedly exceed the number of jobs available. There could be more job openings for qualified individuals in rural localities, and for people to teach subjects such as music and French immersion.
Employment opportunities for Elementary School and Kindergarten Teachers may vary in different communities across the province. You may want to check for specific opportunities in your community. Also, people who are able to work elsewhere may want to research the opportunities for this occupation in other areas of NB or in other provinces across the country.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- A dyslexia support group plans to open a Help Centre in Dieppe this Fall employing five specialists in learning disorders. The Association sud-est Dyslexie-Action is planning to finance their project by launching a fundraising campaign to raise $200,000 to open the Centre.
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
- Université de Moncton and Collège communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick come together to offer training in financial services management (available in French only)
Week of Dec 10 – Dec 14, 2012
- The Université de Moncton would like to inform business owners that the co-op recruiting period for the Spring-Summer 2013 period is now underway
- The District scolaire francophone Sud is in need of additional school bus drivers (available in French only)
Week of Apr 16 – Apr 20, 2012
- Date Modified: