Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Civil engineers plan, design, develop and manage projects for the construction or repair of buildings, earth structures, powerhouses, roads, airports, railways, rapid transit facilities, bridges, tunnels, canals, dams, ports and coastal installations and systems related to highway and transportation services, water distribution and sanitation. Civil engineers may also specialize in foundation analysis, building and structural inspection, surveying, geomatics and municipal planning. Civil engineers are employed by engineering consulting companies, in all levels of government, by construction firms and in many other industries, or they may be self-employed.
bridge engineer, civil engineer, construction engineer, environmental engineer, geodetic engineer, geomatics engineer, highway engineer, hydraulics engineer, municipal engineer, project engineer, construction, public works engineer, sanitation engineer, structural engineer, surveying engineer, traffic engineer, transportation engineer, water management engineer.
- Confer with clients and other members of the engineering team and conduct research to determine project requirements
- Plan and design major civil projects such as buildings, roads, bridges, dams, water and waste management systems and structural steel fabrications
- Develop construction specifications and procedures
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials
- Interpret, review and approve survey and civil design work
- Conduct field services for civil works
- Ensure construction plans meet guidelines and specifications of building codes and other regulations
- Establish and monitor construction work schedules
- Conduct feasibility studies, economic analyses, municipal and regional traffic studies, environmental impact studies or other investigations
- Monitor air, water and soil quality and develop procedures to clean up contaminated sites
- Conduct technical analyses of survey and field data for development of topographic, soil, hydrological or other information and prepare reports
- Act as project or site supervisor for land survey or construction work
- Prepare contract documents and review and evaluate tenders for construction projects
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates.
Outlook & Prospects for Civil Engineers in Moncton--Richibucto Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Moncton--Richibucto Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-05-10|
Currently the chances of qualified Civil Engineers finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area.
Job opportunities in this occupation can be found in these industries: professional business services, public administration, and oil and gas distribution. There are employment opportunities for civil engineers. Employers are especially looking for people with substantial work experience. One of the major employers is the construction industry. However, public investment has gone down because of recently implemented government cost-cutting measures with a view to restoring fiscal balance. That being said, an engineering background is in increasing demand in project management (construction or other fields), as the expertise is easily transferable. Engineers are now in demand in less traditional industries such as insurance and finance. Consulting is also an interesting option for candidates with experience. With experience, civil engineers can become project managers and eventually advance to managing very large projects. Some experienced civil engineers establish their own construction or consulting companies. Those who have doctoral degrees may teach at a university and conduct research. Since many civil engineers are employed in the construction industry, some seasonal elements may come into play, with slightly fewer employment opportunities being available in the winter months when construction generally slows down.
Employment opportunities for Civil Engineers may vary in different communities across the province. You may want to check for specific opportunities in your community. Also, people who are able to work elsewhere may want to research the opportunities for this occupation in other areas of NB or in other provinces across the country.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Feb 17 - Feb 21, 2014
- BMM Testlabs Canada, a Las Vegas-based gaming network consulting company, will create up to 173 jobs over four years for people with an IT background to do software programming, quality assurance testing, and related work, in Dieppe. The company, with over 15 workers currently in the area, will be eligible for a provincial payroll rebate program.
- GuestLogix, a Toronto-based firm that develops technology for on-board retailing services on airline and rail operations, will set up in Moncton in December. The company will employ 35 full-time workers, including software developers, quality assurance testers, and other IT personnel.
- RtTech Software, a Moncton company that designs computer software to help manufacturers reduce waste and run more efficiently, will expand and create six new jobs.
- The Atlantic Cancer Research Institute, located at the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre in Moncton, and Boston-based biotech company New England Peptide, have announced the launch of Excipio Technologies Inc. This new startup biotech company has been created to commercialize a synthetic peptide called Vn96, used in the diagnoses of diseases. The new company is expected to create 12 to 15 highly-skilled biotech jobs in the next three years.
- BMM Testlabs, a testing and certification firm serving the gaming industry, will be opening in Moncton. Under a five-year agreement, Invest NB will provide up to $350,000 in payroll rebates to the company in support of 27 jobs expected to be created during the next four years. The inducements will be paid after the jobs are in place.
- Date Modified: