Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes government officers who administer and enforce laws and regulations related to immigration, employment insurance, customs and tax revenue. They are employed by government agencies.
customs inspector, customs officer, employment insurance agent, employment insurance officer, immigration agent, immigration examining officer, revenue officer, tax collection officer, tax enforcement officer.
- Determine admissibility of persons seeking entry into Canada by examining documents and conducting interviews
- Grant landed-immigrant status, admit persons or order detention or deportation
- Locate and apprehend persons presumed to be infringing on immigration laws
- Assist in the removal of deported people by seeking authorization from receiving countries and securing necessary travel documents
- Appear as a witness in cases related to immigration appeals.
- Determine the eligibility of persons applying for employment insurance benefits
- Ascertain the facts on such issues as reasons for loss of employment and availability for work
- Monitor the payments of benefits throughout the duration of a claim and investigate claimants when there appears to be fraud or abuse.
- Question persons at border points to determine the admissibility of goods and assess duty
- Inspect baggage to detect undeclared merchandise, or contraband
- Inform manufacturers and shippers of customs and laws and procedures
- Observe fabrication of articles affected by customs laws and conduct appraisals
- Board carriers arriving from foreign countries to determine nature of cargo to ensure compliance with customs and commerce laws
- Inspect goods imported by mail
- May arrest and detain individuals suspected of having committed a criminal offence under the Customs Act or certain other designated Criminal Code offences until police intervention is possible.
- Audit accounting records to determine income, exemptions, payable taxes, compliance with reporting regulations and existence of fraud
- Examine accounting systems and internal controls of organizations
- Provide advice on reporting and measurement procedures for goods subject to taxation
- Prepare briefs and assist in searching and seizing records, and in preparing charges for court cases.
Wages for Immigration, Employment Insurance and Revenue Officers in Moncton--Richibucto Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
- Date Modified: