Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Web designers and developers research, design, develop and produce Internet and Intranet sites. They are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, information technology units throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
Internet site designer, Internet site developer, Intranet site designer, Web designer, Web developer, Web manager, Web site developer, Webmaster, e-business Web site developer, e-commerce Web site developer.
- Consult with clients to develop and document Web site requirements
- Prepare mock-ups and storyboards
- Develop Web site architecture and determine hardware and software requirements
- Source, select and organize information for inclusion and design the appearance, layout and flow of the Web site
- Create and optimize content for the Web site using a variety of graphics, database, animation and other software
- Plan, design, write, modify, integrate and test Web-site related code
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls
- May lead and co-ordinate multidisciplinary teams to develop Web site graphics, content, capacity and interactivity
- May research and evaluate a variety of interactive media software products
Outlook & Prospects for Web Designers and Developers in Prince Edward Island
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Prince Edward Island||2012-02-28|
Employment prospects for web designers and developers are expected to be good in 2012-2013.
There is more demand for web designers and developers with a background in graphic design. There have been a number of advertised job openings in recent years which is expected to continue. There are also opportunities for freelance work. Web designers and developers with a well known reputation and experience in the industry may be able to secure employment with off island employers while continuing to live on Prince Edward Island. However, recent graduates or those with limited experience will likely have more difficulties in their job search.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- CONTAX, a business software IT company, has expanded into Charlottetown and plans to employ up to 37 people over the next five years
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Funding has been cut for the Atlantic Veterinary College's diagnostic lab. The $340,000 cut amounts to around 13% of the lab's budget.
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- IT sector looks to fill 100 job openings at the annual IT Job Fair held in March in Charlottetown
- The Department of Health and Wellness announced they will be keeping the dialysis services at the current locations on PEI, introducing an 8-1-1- Telehealth system, increasing the emergency fleet and changing the roles of community hospitals
Week of Mar 04 – Mar 08, 2013
- The provincial government has cancelled a multi-million dollar contract with Ceridian due to the company being short on its employment target for 2012. No local layoffs will occur.
- Date Modified: