Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Retail trade managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of establishments that sell merchandise or services on a retail basis. Retail trade managers are employed by retail sales establishments or they may own and operate their own store.
antique dealer, assistant manager – retail, bookstore manager, car dealership manager, clothing store manager, department store manager, pleasure boat dealer, service station manager, sporting goods store manager, store manager – retail, supermarket manager, travel agency manager, variety store manager.
- Plan, direct and evaluate the operations of establishments engaged in retail sales or of departments in such establishments
- Manage staff and assign duties
- Study market research and trends to determine consumer demand, potential sales volumes and effect of competitors' operations on sales
- Determine merchandise and services to be sold, and implement price and credit policies
- Locate, select and procure merchandise for resale
- Develop and implement marketing strategies
- Plan budgets and authorize expenditures
- Resolve customer complaints
- Determine staffing requirements and hire or oversee hiring of staff.
Outlook & Prospects for Retail Trade Managers in Prince Edward Island
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Prince Edward Island||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-03-08|
Employment prospects for retail trade managers are expected to be good in 2012-2013.
This is a large occupational group on PEI. As with most large occupations, there will be frequent job openings due to normal turnover.
There have been a number of advertised job openings in recent years and that is expected to continue. New opportunities are expected as construction continues on two new major retail developments in Charlottetown, the Northcom Business Centre and the Spencer Drive Plaza. These developments are expected to attract a number of new retail establishments to the city in 2012.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Vessey's Seeds, a seed and gardening retail/wholesaler in York, has purchased a flower bulb fundraising company from the United States. The purchase will result in some new positions at the company's office in York.
- Vogue optical, a retail optical chain that started in Charlottetown, has been sold to New Look Eyewear from Quebec for $74M. The chain will continue to operate on a stand-alone basis and all employees are expected to remain working for the company.
- Target will open its Charlottetown store on November 13. The company has hired 120 people and plans on recruiting 20 to 30 more for the Christmas shopping season.
- Atelka has announced it is recruiting for 200 new positions for its Charlottetown contact centre. The growth is the result of the company acquiring a new client. They are seeking individuals with computer, listening, and organizational skills.
- Date Modified: