Explore Careers - Job Market Report
School principals plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of teachers and other staff of an elementary or secondary school. They are employed by public and private schools. Administrators of elementary and secondary education plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the academic affairs of a school system. They are employed by school boards.
administrator, board of education, chief superintendent – schools, director of education, correctional institution, director of school for the hearing impaired, district school superintendent, headmaster/mistress, private school, school principal, secondary school principal, superintendent of elementary education, superintendent of secondary schools, superintendent of special education, vice-principal, school.
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through department heads or supervisors, the activities of teachers and support staff
- Review programs to ensure conformance to school board or provincial standards and develop programs within limits of authority
- Co-ordinate teaching activities of the institution by making personnel assignments, determining class size and preparing timetables
- Organize and maintain procedures for the keeping of records
- Prepare and administer institution or program budget
- Direct and co-ordinate school maintenance services and the use of school facilities
- May recruit and hire teachers and other staff
- May teach.
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through school principals, the academic affairs of a school district
- Evaluate curriculum, teaching methods and community participation in programs for a school district and revise programs as required
- Develop and administer programs for the education and training of students and adults
- Make recommendations concerning the annual operating budget of a school district
- Direct or supervise the recruitment, appointment, training, evaluation and promotion of teaching personnel.
Outlook & Prospects for School Principals and Administrators of Elementary and Secondary Education in Prince Edward Island
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Prince Edward Island||2012-02-23|
Employment prospects for school principals and administrators of elementary and secondary education are expected to be fair in 2012-2013.
There may be some opportunities due to retirements but these positions are typically filled from within the school system. Turnover is generally low.
There has been a trend of declining student enrolment and this is expected to continue. Budget constraints within the federal and provincial governments may limit new employment opportunities over the forecast period.
Employment opportunities for this occupation may not be as readily available as those which have a good outlook. However, a fair outlook should not prevent anyone from pursuing a specific career in which they are interested.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Construction has begun on the new K-12 school in Souris. The total cost for the constuction is $20M and the construction manager is APM Construction Services.
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- The PEI Teachers Federation has negotiated a two-year contract with the province of PEI. The contract covers substitute teachers for the first time and includes a 1% pay increase each year. Under the contract, upcoming cuts will be by attrition only.
- The English Language School Board has announced funding cuts to schools that amount to 43 teaching positions across the 57 English language schools in the province
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- The University of PEI has laid off 35 staff as a result of a $9M deficit at the university this year
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- The University of PEI will increase tuition by 4% this fall to help offset a portion of the $9M deficit for the university
- Date Modified: