Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Public works and maintenance labourers perform a variety of labouring activities to maintain sidewalks, streets, roads and similar areas. They are employed by municipal, provincial and federal government public works departments or by private contractors under contract to governments.
garbage collector, helper – garbage collection, municipal labourer, parking meter collector, public works labourer, road maintenance worker, sewer maintenance worker, sidewalk cleaner.
- Clean and maintain sidewalks, streets, roads and public grounds of municipality and other areas, working as member of crew
- Sweep debris and shovel snow from streets, sidewalks, building grounds and other areas, and load snow and debris into carts or trucks
- Shovel cement and other materials into cement mixers, spread concrete and asphalt on road surfaces using shovels, rakes and hand tampers, and perform other activities to assist in maintenance and repair of roads
- Spread sand or salt on sidewalks for snow and ice control
- Dig ditches and trenches using shovels and other hand tools
- Operate jackhammers and drills to break up pavement
- Operate power mowers and cutters to cut lawns and grass along roadsides
- Cut trees, trim branches, rake leaves, apply fertilizer and insecticides by hand, and water public lawns, trees and shrubs
- Load and unload trucks with supplies and equipment
- Collect money from coin boxes of parking meters along established route
- Collect and load refuse on garbage trucks
- Assist equipment operators to secure attachments to equipment or trucks
- Assist in routine maintenance and repair of equipment
- Assist skilled tradespersons such as carpenters, plumbers and mechanics
- May operate mobile sidewalk-cleaning equipment.
Outlook & Prospects for Public Works and Maintenance Labourers in Winnipeg Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
- Date Modified: