Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Patternmakers in this unit group create master patterns for the production of garments, footwear and other textile, leather or fur products. They are employed by pattern manufacturers, textile, leather or fur products manufacturers or they may be self-employed.
dress patternmaker, embroidery patternmaker, fur garment patternmaker, garment patternmaker, leather products patternmaker, shoe patternmaker, textile products patternmaker.
- Examine sketches, samples of articles and specifications of designs to determine number, size and shape of pattern parts and assess the amount of cloth required to make product
- Draw, lay out and cut master pattern of product
- Outline parts of pattern on paper and mark pattern to indicate details such as placement of pockets and pleats on garments, decorative stitching on shoe parts or eyelets on canvas products
- Create pattern size variations from master pattern using computer or drafting instruments, or forward pattern to computer operator to create pattern size variations
- Lay out master pattern on fabric and cut sample pattern
- Mark size, identification, style and sewing instructions on sample patterns.
Outlook & Prospects for Patternmakers – Textile, Leather and Fur Products in Winnipeg Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Canadian Tire plans to open a new cloud computing centre in downtown Winnipeg, which is expected to create 50 local jobs
- A new residential development, the Ridgewood South, was approved near the Charleswood area in Winnipeg. As many as 8,700 new residents are expected to move into the area over the next 15 years.
- Two new restaurants will open this summer at the Kildonan Park in Winnipeg
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Canad Inns has opened a new 191-room hotel attached to Winnipeg's Health Sciences Centre. This is the first hotel in Canada to be connected to a hospital.
- A new Liquor Mart Express has opened in the Charleswood district of Winnipeg
- Cabela's, a Canadian hunting and fishing store, is opening a 70,000 sq.-ft. location in Winnipeg on May 9. The store will employ about 200 full-time and part-time workers.
- New mixed-use development being built in Winnipeg which includes as many as 200 condos, retail and restaurant components, as well as an office tower
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Winnipeg based on-line pharmaceutical company, Canada Drugs, is laying off employees
- Boeing announces expansion to their Murray Industrial Park plant in Winnipeg
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Date Modified: