Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Sewing machine operators operate sewing machines to sew fabric, fur, leather or synthetic materials to produce or repair garments and other articles. They are employed in clothing, footwear, textile products, fur products and other manufacturing establishments and by furriers.
fur sewing machine operator, leather products sewing machine operator, lining stitcher, sample maker, sample sewer, serging machine operator, sewing machine operator, shoe sewer.
- Assemble pieces of garments by matching patterns and dye lots
- Operate single, double or multi-needle serging, flat bed felling, banding and other sewing machines, to join sections of garments or other articles into finished products on a piece-work or production basis
- Operate fur sewing machines to join fur pelt strips to required size and shape and join pelts into garment sections or shells
- Operate stitching machines to sew leather parts together for leather garments, handbags, shoes and other leather articles
- Operate serging machines to sew and overcast edges of material simultaneously
- Operate tackers, pocketsetters, buttonhole makers and fusing, hemmer and other machines to perform various operations in the fabrication of garments and other articles
- Examine garments and operate sewing machines, sergers and other machines to repair garments and other articles during the manufacturing process
- Complete production reports
- May perform minor maintenance and repairs on sewing machine.
Outlook & Prospects for Sewing Machine Operators in Newfoundland and Labrador
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The provincial government's Dept. of Fisheries and Aquaculture has issued a call for proposals to evaluate new opportunities for harvesting, processing and marketing yellowtail flounder
Week of Mar 04 – Mar 08, 2013
- P. Janes & Sons Limited has closed three crab processing plants in Hant's Harbour, Jackson's Arm and Salvage, NL. Over 300 workers have been affected. The Barry Group hopes to hire most of the displaced workers.
Week of May 21 – May 25, 2012
- Date Modified: