Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Machining tool operators set up and operate or tend metal-cutting machines designed for repetitive machining work. They are employed by metal products and other manufacturing companies and in machine shops. This unit group also includes workers who etch or chemically mill metal pieces.
CNC machining tool operator, aircraft parts etcher, boring mill operator – metal machining, lathe machining operator, machining tool operator, milling machine set-up operator, production gear cutter, production grinder operator – metal machining, radial drill operator – metal machining.
- Study job orders and interpret blueprints to determine machining operations to be performed
- Set up and operate machine tools to perform repetitive machining operations, such as turning, milling, drilling, boring, planing, honing, broaching, grinding or other machining operations
- Verify dimensions of parts machined using micrometers, callipers and other precision measuring instruments
- Prepare etching solution and immerse metal parts or workpiece in etching solution to remove unwanted portions
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment and machinery
- May enter codes specifying speed, feed and cut of the toolpath for computer numerical controlled (CNC) machine tools.
Québec, Beauport, Charlesbourg, Donnacona, Saint-Raymond, Baie-Saint-Paul, Beaupré, Cap-Rouge, Château-Richer, Clermont, Donohue, Lac-Saint-Charles, La Malbaie--Pointe-au-Pic, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Loretteville, Pont-Rouge, Portneuf, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, Saint-Émile, Val-Bélair, Le Moyne, Plage-Rhéaume, Sainte-Anne-Ouest, Sault-à-la-Puce
Outlook & Prospects for Machining Tool Operators in Capitale-Nationale Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||<Not assigned>||2012-10-22|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Metro is closing its distribution centre in St-Augustin-de-Desmaures, close to Québec City. A total of 114 employees will lose their jobs. The closure is scheduled for March 9, 2014. (available in French only)
- Thales (Qu¿bec City) has been awarded a $20M contract by the Department of National Defence. Approximately 50 highly specialized jobs (including programmers and engineers) will be created during the contract term. (available in French only)
- The Loews Le Concorde hotel, in Qu¿bec City, may be closing its doors on February 11, 2014. The 250-some hotel and restaurant employees received a mass layoff notice. About a hundred employees were also laid off this past October. (available in French only)
- The Federal Review Panel has concluded the proposed New Prosperity copper-gold mine would have significant adverse environmental effects. Approval or rejection of the mine will be decided by the federal Ministry of Environment.
- A new dealership Jaguar Land Rover has just opened its doors on rue ¿tienne-Dubreuil in Qu¿bec. Construction of the new building required a $5M investment and twenty-some workers are currently working. (available in French only)
- Optosecurity, a Québec-based company specializing in detecting physical threats, just signed an agreement with British security system manufacturer Smiths Detection. Currently, it has a dozen positions to fill. (available in French only)
- Arrimage Québec is investing $20M to build a new wood pellet terminal. 260 jobs will be created during construction and approximately 100 direct and indirect jobs thereafter. Works have already started. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: