Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Workers in this unit group prepare meat and poultry for further processing, for packaging or for marketing. They are employed in meat and poultry slaughtering, processing and packing establishments.
beef boner, ham cutter, industrial butcher, industrial meat cutter, meat trimmer, poultry preparer, slaughterer.
- Industrial butchers slaughter livestock using stunning devices and knives; skin, clean and trim carcasses; remove viscera and other inedible parts from carcasses; split carcasses into smaller portions to facilitate handling; and may slaughter cattle, calves and sheep as prescribed by religious laws.
- Industrial meat cutters cut beef, lamb, pork or veal carcasses or sides or quarters of carcasses into primal cuts for further cutting, processing or packaging; remove bones from meat; and cut meat and poultry into specific cuts for institutional, commercial or other wholesale use.
- Poultry preparers slaughter poultry and remove inedible parts; remove feathers and singe and wash poultry to prepare for further processing or packaging.
- Trimmers remove skin, excess fat, bruises or other blemishes from carcasses or meat portions.
Québec, Beauport, Charlesbourg, Donnacona, Saint-Raymond, Baie-Saint-Paul, Beaupré, Cap-Rouge, Château-Richer, Clermont, Donohue, Lac-Saint-Charles, La Malbaie--Pointe-au-Pic, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Loretteville, Pont-Rouge, Portneuf, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, Saint-Émile, Val-Bélair, Le Moyne, Plage-Rhéaume, Sainte-Anne-Ouest, Sault-à-la-Puce
Outlook & Prospects for Industrial Butchers and Meat Cutters, Poultry Preparers and Related Workers in Capitale-Nationale Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-22|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities for the Capitale-Nationale region are expected to be fair for this occupation. Some openings will arise because of the replacement needs associated with the ageing workforce.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Thales (Qu¿bec City) has been awarded a $20M contract by the Department of National Defence. Approximately 50 highly specialized jobs (including programmers and engineers) will be created during the contract term. (available in French only)
- The Loews Le Concorde hotel, in Qu¿bec City, may be closing its doors on February 11, 2014. The 250-some hotel and restaurant employees received a mass layoff notice. About a hundred employees were also laid off this past October. (available in French only)
- The Federal Review Panel has concluded the proposed New Prosperity copper-gold mine would have significant adverse environmental effects. Approval or rejection of the mine will be decided by the federal Ministry of Environment.
- A new dealership Jaguar Land Rover has just opened its doors on rue ¿tienne-Dubreuil in Qu¿bec. Construction of the new building required a $5M investment and twenty-some workers are currently working. (available in French only)
- Optosecurity, a Québec-based company specializing in detecting physical threats, just signed an agreement with British security system manufacturer Smiths Detection. Currently, it has a dozen positions to fill. (available in French only)
- Arrimage Québec is investing $20M to build a new wood pellet terminal. 260 jobs will be created during construction and approximately 100 direct and indirect jobs thereafter. Works have already started. (available in French only)
- In spring 2014, a The Keg restaurant will be opening in Québec. It will be located on Laurier boulevard on the first floor of Hôtel Quartier. Approximately 100 jobs will be created. (available in French only)
- Groupe coopératif Dynaco is investing $10 million in Augustin-de-Desmaures to open a Kioti machining centre and a BMR renovation centre. Both are slated to open in May 2014. Close to 75 jobs will be created. (available in French only)
- Turcotte (1989), a company located in the industrial park north of Beauport, is investing $4 million to modernize its facilities. The new building should be ready in May. 5 to 10 new jobs will be created. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: