Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Workers in this unit group prepare meat and poultry for further processing, for packaging or for marketing. They are employed in meat and poultry slaughtering, processing and packing establishments.
beef boner, ham cutter, industrial butcher, industrial meat cutter, meat trimmer, poultry preparer, slaughterer.
- Industrial butchers slaughter livestock using stunning devices and knives; skin, clean and trim carcasses; remove viscera and other inedible parts from carcasses; split carcasses into smaller portions to facilitate handling; and may slaughter cattle, calves and sheep as prescribed by religious laws.
- Industrial meat cutters cut beef, lamb, pork or veal carcasses or sides or quarters of carcasses into primal cuts for further cutting, processing or packaging; remove bones from meat; and cut meat and poultry into specific cuts for institutional, commercial or other wholesale use.
- Poultry preparers slaughter poultry and remove inedible parts; remove feathers and singe and wash poultry to prepare for further processing or packaging.
- Trimmers remove skin, excess fat, bruises or other blemishes from carcasses or meat portions.
Québec, Beauport, Charlesbourg, Donnacona, Saint-Raymond, Baie-Saint-Paul, Beaupré, Cap-Rouge, Château-Richer, Clermont, Donohue, Lac-Saint-Charles, La Malbaie--Pointe-au-Pic, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Loretteville, Pont-Rouge, Portneuf, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, Saint-Émile, Val-Bélair, Le Moyne, Plage-Rhéaume, Sainte-Anne-Ouest, Sault-à-la-Puce
Outlook & Prospects for Industrial Butchers and Meat Cutters, Poultry Preparers and Related Workers in Capitale-Nationale Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities for the Capitale-Nationale region are expected to be fair for this occupation. Some openings will arise because of the replacement needs associated with the ageing workforce.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 10 – Jun 14, 2013
- A data storage centre, estimated at close to $60M, will be built in Québec City in the coming months, creating some 30 jobs in the coming years (available in French only)
- Target stores are currently recruiting in anticipation of their store openings in the Québec City area. The Target recruiting team will be meeting with applicants until June 20. (available in French only)
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Struggling with financial difficulties, restaurant chain Le Commensal has decided to shut down 3 of its 8 restaurants, namely the ones located in Québec, Boisbriand and Toronto. In Québec, 18 people have been laid off. (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Aliments Original will cease its operations in Québec and transfer entirely to Ontario. The company had three factories in Québec, two in Québec City and one in Châteauguay. In Québec City, 120 jobs will be lost and a further 30 lost in Châteauguay. (available in French only)
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- Québec City will invest at least $2.4M in a virtual safe box pilot project developed by the Almerys society. This group has promised an investment of $15M in the project and will hire approximately forty people in Quebec. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: