Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Medical sonographers operate ultrasound equipment to produce and record images of various parts of the body to aid physicians in monitoring pregnancies and in diagnosing cardiac, ophthalmic, vascular and other medical disorders. They are employed in clinics and hospitals. Medical sonographers who are supervisors or instructors are included in this unit group.
diagnostic medical sonography instructor, medical sonographer, medical sonographers supervisor, registered diagnostic medical sonographer (RDMS), ultrasound technologist.
- Operate ultrasound imaging equipment that transmits high frequency sound pulses through the body to produce images of those parts of the body requiring examination
- Monitor examination by viewing images on video screen, to evaluate quality and consistency of diagnostic images, and make adjustments to equipment, as required
- Record, store and process scanned images by using camera unit connected to ultrasound equipment
- Observe and care for patients throughout examinations to ensure patient safety and comfort
- Prepare examination reports for physicians to aid in the monitoring of pregnancies and the diagnosis of cardiac, abdominal, ophthalmic, vascular and other disorders
- Perform quality control checks on ultrasound equipment to ensure proper operation and perform minor repairs and adjustments as required
- May supervise and train student and other medical sonographers.
Medical sonographers may specialize in abdominal, cardiac, cerebral, obstetrical and gynaecological, ophthalmic, intraluminal or peripheral vascular sonography. They may also specialize in adult or pediatric echocardiography or neurosonology.
Québec, Beauport, Charlesbourg, Donnacona, Saint-Raymond, Baie-Saint-Paul, Beaupré, Cap-Rouge, Château-Richer, Clermont, Donohue, Lac-Saint-Charles, La Malbaie--Pointe-au-Pic, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Loretteville, Pont-Rouge, Portneuf, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, Saint-Émile, Val-Bélair, Le Moyne, Plage-Rhéaume, Sainte-Anne-Ouest, Sault-à-la-Puce
Outlook & Prospects for Medical Sonographers in Capitale-Nationale Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||<Not assigned>||2012-10-10|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Metro is closing its distribution centre in St-Augustin-de-Desmaures, close to Québec City. A total of 114 employees will lose their jobs. The closure is scheduled for March 9, 2014. (available in French only)
- Thales (Qu¿bec City) has been awarded a $20M contract by the Department of National Defence. Approximately 50 highly specialized jobs (including programmers and engineers) will be created during the contract term. (available in French only)
- The Loews Le Concorde hotel, in Qu¿bec City, may be closing its doors on February 11, 2014. The 250-some hotel and restaurant employees received a mass layoff notice. About a hundred employees were also laid off this past October. (available in French only)
- The Federal Review Panel has concluded the proposed New Prosperity copper-gold mine would have significant adverse environmental effects. Approval or rejection of the mine will be decided by the federal Ministry of Environment.
- A new dealership Jaguar Land Rover has just opened its doors on rue ¿tienne-Dubreuil in Qu¿bec. Construction of the new building required a $5M investment and twenty-some workers are currently working. (available in French only)
- Optosecurity, a Québec-based company specializing in detecting physical threats, just signed an agreement with British security system manufacturer Smiths Detection. Currently, it has a dozen positions to fill. (available in French only)
- Arrimage Québec is investing $20M to build a new wood pellet terminal. 260 jobs will be created during construction and approximately 100 direct and indirect jobs thereafter. Works have already started. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: