Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Medical sonographers operate ultrasound equipment to produce and record images of various parts of the body to aid physicians in monitoring pregnancies and in diagnosing cardiac, ophthalmic, vascular and other medical disorders. They are employed in clinics and hospitals. Medical sonographers who are supervisors or instructors are included in this unit group.
diagnostic medical sonography instructor, medical sonographer, medical sonographers supervisor, registered diagnostic medical sonographer (RDMS), ultrasound technologist.
- Operate ultrasound imaging equipment that transmits high frequency sound pulses through the body to produce images of those parts of the body requiring examination
- Monitor examination by viewing images on video screen, to evaluate quality and consistency of diagnostic images, and make adjustments to equipment, as required
- Record, store and process scanned images by using camera unit connected to ultrasound equipment
- Observe and care for patients throughout examinations to ensure patient safety and comfort
- Prepare examination reports for physicians to aid in the monitoring of pregnancies and the diagnosis of cardiac, abdominal, ophthalmic, vascular and other disorders
- Perform quality control checks on ultrasound equipment to ensure proper operation and perform minor repairs and adjustments as required
- May supervise and train student and other medical sonographers.
Medical sonographers may specialize in abdominal, cardiac, cerebral, obstetrical and gynaecological, ophthalmic, intraluminal or peripheral vascular sonography. They may also specialize in adult or pediatric echocardiography or neurosonology.
Québec, Beauport, Charlesbourg, Donnacona, Saint-Raymond, Baie-Saint-Paul, Beaupré, Cap-Rouge, Château-Richer, Clermont, Donohue, Lac-Saint-Charles, La Malbaie--Pointe-au-Pic, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Loretteville, Pont-Rouge, Portneuf, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, Saint-Émile, Val-Bélair, Le Moyne, Plage-Rhéaume, Sainte-Anne-Ouest, Sault-à-la-Puce
Outlook & Prospects for Medical Sonographers in Capitale-Nationale Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||<Not assigned>||2012-10-10|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 10 – Jun 14, 2013
- A data storage centre, estimated at close to $60M, will be built in Québec City in the coming months, creating some 30 jobs in the coming years (available in French only)
- Target stores are currently recruiting in anticipation of their store openings in the Québec City area. The Target recruiting team will be meeting with applicants until June 20. (available in French only)
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Struggling with financial difficulties, restaurant chain Le Commensal has decided to shut down 3 of its 8 restaurants, namely the ones located in Québec, Boisbriand and Toronto. In Québec, 18 people have been laid off. (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Aliments Original will cease its operations in Québec and transfer entirely to Ontario. The company had three factories in Québec, two in Québec City and one in Châteauguay. In Québec City, 120 jobs will be lost and a further 30 lost in Châteauguay. (available in French only)
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- Québec City will invest at least $2.4M in a virtual safe box pilot project developed by the Almerys society. This group has promised an investment of $15M in the project and will hire approximately forty people in Quebec. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: