Explore Careers - Job Market Report
General practitioners and family physicians diagnose and treat the diseases, physiological disorders and injuries of patients. They provide primary contact and continuous care toward the management of patients' health. They usually work in private practice, including group or team practices, hospitals and clinics. Residents in training to be general practitioners and family physicians are included in this unit group.
- Examine patients and take their histories, order laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures and consult with other medical practitioners to evaluate patients' physical and mental health
- Prescribe and administer medications and treatments
- Perform and assist in routine surgery
- Provide emergency care
- Provide acute care management
- Inoculate and vaccinate patients
- Deliver babies and provide pre-natal and post-natal care
- Advise patients and their families on health care including health promotion, disease, illness and accident prevention
- Provide counselling and support to patients and their families on a wide range of health and lifestyle issues
- Perform patient advocacy role
- Co-ordinate or manage primary patient care
- Provide continuous care to patients
- Supervise home care services
- Report births, deaths, and contagious and other diseases to governmental authorities.
Outlook & Prospects for General Practitioners and Family Physicians in Centre-du-Québec Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Centre-du-Québec region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The centre d'hébergement du Roseau in Victoriaville invests $4.8M to expand and focus its food production in a single kitchen (available in French only)
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- By January 2014, an 18-transitional apartment building will be built in Drummondville with $3M. L'Envolée des mères project is geared specifically towards young, single mothers and their children. (available in French only)
- The daycare centre "Sur une patte" of Drummondville has obtained the authorization to create 62 new spots, with 18 of them reserved to the new resource L'Envolée des mères (available in French only)
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
- An intermediary resources centre will be built in Drummondville with an investment of $1.5M; some 15 jobs will be created (available in French only)
Week of Jan 28 – Feb 01, 2013
- The Municipality of Saint-Rosaire is building a 39-spot daycare centre. It will be operated by the Centre de la petite enfance – La Petite École and will result in the creation of eight jobs. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: