Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Mathematicians and statisticians research mathematical or statistical theories, and develop and apply mathematical or statistical techniques, for solving problems in such fields as science, engineering, business and social science. Actuaries apply mathematics, statistics, probability and risk theory to assess potential financial impacts of future events. Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries are employed by universities, governments, bank and trust companies, insurance companies, pension benefit consulting firms, professional associations and science and engineering consulting firms.
actuary, biostatistician, consulting actuary, demographer, insurance actuary, mathematician, statistical analyst, statistician.
- Mathematicians conduct research to extend mathematical knowledge in traditional areas of mathematics such as algebra, geometry, probability and logic and apply mathematical techniques to the solution of problems in scientific fields such as physical science, engineering, computer science or other fields such as operations research, business or management.
- Statisticians conduct research into the mathematical basis of the science of statistics, develop statistical methodology and advise on the practical application of statistical methodology. They also apply statistical theory and methods to provide information in scientific and other fields such as biological and agricultural science, business and economics, physical sciences and engineering, and the social sciences.
- Actuaries apply mathematical models to forecast and calculate the probable future costs of insurance and pension benefits. They design life, health, and property insurance policies, and calculate premiums, contributions and benefits for insurance policies, and pension and superannuation plans. They may assist investment fund managers in portfolio asset allocation decisions and risk management. They also use these techniques to provide legal evidence on the value of future earnings.
Outlook & Prospects for Mathematicians, Statisticians and Actuaries in Centre-du-Québec Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Centre-du-Québec Region||<Not assigned>||2013-09-03|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- More than $45M will be invested to set up a new aluminum alloy rod manufacturing plant in Victoriaville. Approximately fifty workers will be hired for its scheduled 2015 opening. (available in French only)
- Colo-D, a high-tech business specializing in neutral colocation, is investing $35M in the former Disque Am¿ric building in Drummondville. Twenty-five workers, predominantly computer technicians, are expected to be hired. (available in French only)
- The Monseigneur Grenier primary school in Victoriaville was renovated and expanded with a $1.3M investment (available in French only)
- RER Hydro will be installing a new river-generated turbine plant in B¿cancour, creating 15 jobs in the short term (available in French only)
- Manufacturer Matelas Ren¿ in Nicolet has invested more than $900,000 into a project that targets mattress springs (available in French only)
- Milkomax, solutions laiti¿res in Sainte-Monique has invested a little more than $1M to acquire a new mobile robot for cow milking (available in French only)
- Rovibec Agrisolutions in Sainte-Monique, an equipment manufacturer intended for the feeding of cow herds, has invested $1.3M into the development of a greater prototype, an advanced technology worldwide (available in French only)
- Sawmill Amex Bois Franc of Plessisville invests nearly $2.8M to acquire new equipment and kilns, in addition to building two new warehouses (available in French only)
- BMG Environnement in Plessisville, a manufacturer of recyclable materials processing equipment, invests $900,000 to implement a new concept separator in many sorting centres in Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil (available in French only)
- Min¿raux rares Quest will implement a hydrometallurgy plant in B¿cancour. An investment of $1.3B will allow the company to hire 500 people during the plant's construction in 2016, in addition to creating 300 jobs during its opening in 2017. (available in French only)
- The City of Victoriaville is investing $1.49M to build a wastewater pre-treatment plant that will serve businesses located in the industrial park (available in French only)
- The Cégep de Drummondville will be investing $2.4M to build a second gymnasium. This new installation will meet the needs of the institution¿s growing clientele and the future participants of the Jeux du Québec in winter 2015. (available in French only)
- École Marie-Rivier high school in Drummondville will be investing $5.2M to expand its double gymnasium. Thanks to this addition, the institution will become the first in Québec to have a triple gymnasium. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: