Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers who handle, move, load and unload materials by hand or using a variety of material handling equipment. They are employed by transportation, storage and moving companies, and by a variety of manufacturing and processing companies and retail and wholesale warehouses.
bin filler, coal handler, conveyor console operator, forklift truck operator, freight handler (except air transport), furniture mover, lumber piler – building supplies, material handler, railway car loader, stockpiler, storage worker – material handling, truck loader, warehouseman/woman.
- Load, unload and move products and materials by hand or using basic material handling equipment
- Move household appliances and furniture onto and off moving trucks or vans
- Set up rooms for events, dismantle moveable walls and partitions, and organize or set up office furniture
- Perform other material handling activities such as counting, weighing, sorting, packing and unpacking.
- Operate winches and other loading devices to load and unload materials onto and off trucks, railway cars and loading docks of warehouses and industrial establishments
- Operate industrial trucks, tractors, loaders and other equipment to transport materials to and from transportation vehicles and loading docks and to store and retrieve materials in warehouses
- Connect hoses or pipes and operate equipment to load and unload liquid petroleum, chemical or other products into or from tank cars, tank trucks or storage tanks
- Operate equipment to dump materials such as coal, ore and grain into or to remove materials from railway cars, trucks or other vehicles
- Operate conveyors and equipment to transfer grain or other materials from transportation vehicles to elevators, bins or other storage areas
- May perform other activities, such as opening containers and crates, filling warehouse orders, assisting in taking inventory and weighing and checking materials.
Outlook & Prospects for Material Handlers in Gaspésie -- Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Gaspésie -- Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-10|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Gaspésie - Îles-de-la-Madeleine region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Coop Bonichoix in Saint-Sim¿on closed its doors on November 16 and 15-some employees have lost their jobs (available in French only)
- Twenty-some jobs will be lost in Caplan following the closure of the Atelka call centre in mid-December (available in French only)
- Les travaux de construction du nouveau Marché IGA de Rivière-au-Renard ont débuté le 30 octobre. Quinze nouveaux postes s'ajouteront aux 38 emplois actuels lors de son ouverture. (available in French only)
- Super C will be opening in Gaspé at the end of February, following an investment of close to $8 million. 60 jobs, half of which part-time, should be created (available in French only)
- Date Modified: