Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Railway track maintenance workers operate machines and equipment to lay, maintain and repair railway tracks. They are employed by railway transport companies.
ballast regulator operator – railway, equipment operator, railway, machine operator – railway, rail saw operator, section worker – railway, spike machine operator – railway, tie tamper operator – railway, track patroller, railway, trackman/woman, railway.
- Operate machines and equipment such as tie cutters, tie injectors, tie anchors, rail lifters, spike drivers, spike pullers, rail saws and tie cranes to lay, maintain and repair railway tracks
- Operate machines and equipment to align tracks, to transfer, spread, level and tamp ballast around ties and rails and to clear snow from tracks
- Clean and make minor repairs to machines and equipment
- Patrol assigned track sections to identify and report damaged or broken track
- Shovel ice and snow from track switch boxes
- Perform other track maintenance duties as directed.
Outlook & Prospects for Railway Track Maintenance Workers in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Outaouais Region||<Not assigned>||2012-10-15|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Resolute Forest Products papermill in Gatineau resumes production; 125 workers return to work. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- A $469,000 training project aims to develop skills among owners of outfitting businesses in the Outaouais. $8.3M in economic spin-offs are anticipated along with a potential dozen or so new jobs. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The golf course of Sainte-Marie in the Outaouais region has stopped its activities. Nearly a dozen seasonal employees are now without a job for the new season. (available in French only)
- A new elementary school is being built in Cantley, which represents an investment estimated at $10.8M. The establishment should be welcoming 425 students by September 2014. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- More than 100 jobs available in the RCM of Papineau (available in French only)
- The bridge that links Gracefield to Northfield in the Outaouais region will be rebuilt for a sum estimated between $25M and $30M (available in French only)
- Date Modified: