Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Painters and decorators apply paint, wallpaper and other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings and other structures. They are employed by construction companies, painting contractors and building maintenance contractors, or they may be self-employed.
construction painter, maintenance painter, painter, painter and decorator, painter and decorator apprentice, paperhanger.
- Read specifications to determine quantities of materials required
- Prepare and clean surfaces using methods such as scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning; remove old wallpaper and loose paint; repair cracks and holes in walls; and sandpaper and apply sealer
- Mix and thin paint to obtain desired colour and texture
- Apply paint or other materials, such as stains, lacquer, enamel, oil, varnish, fibreglass, metal coating or fire retardant using brushes, rollers or spray equipment
- Measure, cut and apply wallpaper or fabric to walls
- Assemble and erect scaffolding and swing stages
- Advise customer on selection of colour schemes and choice of wall coverings
- May provide cost estimates to clients.
Outlook & Prospects for Painters and Decorators in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Outaouais Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-12|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Outaouais region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Sep 16 - Sep 20, 2013
- The City of Gatineau will be moving forward with its project to rebuild the waste water plant and sanitary pumping station. The project is estimated at $115M and will create 67 jobs over the next six years. (available in French only)
- A grant of $2.3M will see the construction of two housing projects involving 115 affordable units for families and single persons in the Aylmer sector of Gatineau (available in French only)
- Centre Ernest-Lattion, a community center that serves the needs of seniors located in the Aylmer area in Gatineau, will be expanded at a cost of $450,000 (available in French only)
- $700M will be invested to build 12 condo towers, totalling 1,400 units, in Gatineau's Vieux-Port area (available in French only)
- The first phase of Domaine du vignoble, a high-end housing project that incorporates grape production and goat raising, will be starting in Chelsea next fall (available in French only)
- The City of Gatineau is investing $16M in its parks and green spaces (available in French only)
- The City of Gatineau will spent $97M on infrastructure work by the end of the year (available in French only)
- Construction on a new $8M school in the Aylmer sector of Gatineau should begin shortly, with completion in time for school start-up in 2014 (available in French only)
- Date Modified: