Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Painters and decorators apply paint, wallpaper and other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings and other structures. They are employed by construction companies, painting contractors and building maintenance contractors, or they may be self-employed.
construction painter, maintenance painter, painter, painter and decorator, painter and decorator apprentice, paperhanger.
- Read specifications to determine quantities of materials required
- Prepare and clean surfaces using methods such as scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning; remove old wallpaper and loose paint; repair cracks and holes in walls; and sandpaper and apply sealer
- Mix and thin paint to obtain desired colour and texture
- Apply paint or other materials, such as stains, lacquer, enamel, oil, varnish, fibreglass, metal coating or fire retardant using brushes, rollers or spray equipment
- Measure, cut and apply wallpaper or fabric to walls
- Assemble and erect scaffolding and swing stages
- Advise customer on selection of colour schemes and choice of wall coverings
- May provide cost estimates to clients.
Outlook & Prospects for Painters and Decorators in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Outaouais region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Work on the biggest traffic circle of Gatineau estimated at $4.7M will begin soon (available in French only)
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- A new daycare, with a capacity to welcome 160 kids, will be built in Aylmer sector of Gatineau (available in French only)
- Thirty-two affordable apartments, divided among 5 buildings, will be built in Gatineau (available in French only)
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- The bridge that links Gracefield to Northfield in the Outaouais region will be rebuilt for a sum estimated between $25M and $30M (available in French only)
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
- The federal government announced that it is investing more than $8M to rebuild the Alexandra and Chaudières bridges between Ottawa and Gatineau (available in French only)
- Date Modified: