Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers who carry hotel guests' luggage and escort guests to their rooms, carry travellers' luggage at airports, in railway stations and aboard ships, and clean and maintain public areas and passengers' rooms aboard ships and trains. They are employed by airports, hotels, railway companies and water transport companies.
baggage porter, bellhop, doorkeeper, hotel, guest services attendant, hotel, luggage attendant, passenger attendant, cruise line, passenger attendant, ship, porter, redcap, train service attendant.
- Guest service attendants carry luggage for hotel guests, escort incoming guests to their rooms, check rooms to ensure they are in order, offer information regarding features of rooms, services of hotel and points of interest, assist guests with special needs, attend to group arrivals and departures, receive and deliver items and messages for guests, handle guest complaints and requests, and maintain luggage storage areas.
- Baggage porters convey travellers' luggage at railway stations and airports by hand or hand truck and arrange for ground transportation.
- Ship attendants serve food and beverages, clean cabins, make beds, wash dishes and carry luggage for passengers aboard ships.
- Train service attendants set and clear tables in dining cars, clean sleeping cars, maintain washroom supplies and assist passengers as required.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Attendants in Accommodation and Travel in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Outaouais Region||<Not assigned>||2012-10-12|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Daycare service La Casa Tropical/Maison des Enfants was built in Saint-Denis-de-Brompton thanks to an $800,000 investment. Eight employees have been hired.
- Espace Vie King Est, a new $2M building project, will launch in October in Sherbrooke at the corner of King Est and Curtis. The building will include retail space, offices and residential units. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Resolute Forest Products papermill in Gatineau resumes production; 125 workers return to work. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- A $469,000 training project aims to develop skills among owners of outfitting businesses in the Outaouais. $8.3M in economic spin-offs are anticipated along with a potential dozen or so new jobs. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The golf course of Sainte-Marie in the Outaouais region has stopped its activities. Nearly a dozen seasonal employees are now without a job for the new season. (available in French only)
- A new elementary school is being built in Cantley, which represents an investment estimated at $10.8M. The establishment should be welcoming 425 students by September 2014. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: