Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Police officers protect the public, detect and prevent crime and perform other activities directed at maintaining law and order. They are employed by municipal and federal governments, some provincial and regional governments and the armed forces. This unit group includes military police and railway police.
RCMP officer, community relations officer, constable, crime prevention constable, detective, harbour police officer, highway patrol officer, military police officer, police cadet, police diver, police officer, police sergeant, railway police officer.
- Patrol assigned areas to maintain public safety and order and to enforce laws and regulations
- Investigate crimes and accidents, secure evidence, interview witnesses, compile notes and reports and provide testimony in courts of law
- Arrest criminal suspects
- Provide emergency assistance to victims of accidents, crimes and natural disasters
- Participate in crime prevention, public information and safety programs
- May supervise and co-ordinate the work of other police officers.
Outlook & Prospects for Police Officers (Except Commissioned) in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Outaouais region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Employment levels in this occupational group have been rising steadily in recent years and this upward trend is expected to continue as the Outaouais region's population grows. As part of Gatineau's 2010-2013 police organization plan, some 60 police officers and detectives will be hired over the next two years to fight cyber crime and street gangs. Population growth, development of the downtown core and increased Internet crime require additional resources for investigations and the hiring of professionals to help target interventions. Openings will result from employment growth and the need to replace retiring workers.
Federal, provincial and municipal public administrations will be the sectors providing jobs in this occupation. Employers seek people in good physical condition who can handle stress, and are able to react well in emergency situations. They must have good judgment, take initiative and be able to analyse and solve problems.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Sep 10 – Sep 14, 2012
- The Canada Revenue Agency will be closing 28 of its regional service desks across Canada on October 1, 2012 (available in French only)
Week of Apr 30 – May 04, 2012
- Across the country, more than 7,000 public servants notified (available in French only)
- Date Modified: