Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Interior designers conceptualize and produce aesthetic, functional and safe designs for interior spaces in residential, commercial, cultural, institutional and industrial buildings. They are employed by architectural firms, interior design firms, retail establishments, construction companies, hospitals, airlines, hotel and restaurant chains, and other establishments or they may be self-employed.
aircraft interior designer, interior design technician, interior designer, kitchen designer, office space planner, project manager, interior design, retail space planner.
- Consult with clients to determine needs, preferences, safety requirements and purpose of space
- Develop detailed plans and 3-D models showing arrangement of walls, dividers, displays, lighting and other fixtures using computer-assisted design (CAD) software and graphics software
- Develop plans, elevations, cross sections and detailed drawings, and advise on selection of colours, finishes and materials, floor and wall coverings, interior and exterior lighting, furniture and other items, taking into account ergonomic and occupational health standards
- Estimate costs and materials required and may advise on leasing, real estate and marketing
- Prepare plans and specifications for the final interior designs in accordance with current practices and codes
- Work in a multidisciplinary environment
- May direct site work crews and subcontractors.
Interior designers may specialize in designing interiors for residential, commercial, institutional, cultural and industrial buildings and for aircraft, ships or trains, trade shows and exhibitions.
Outlook & Prospects for Interior Designers in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Québec.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||<Not assigned>||2011-12-21|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2012-10-17|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-15|
|Centre-du-Québec Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-06|
|Chaudière-Appalaches Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-01|
|Côte-Nord Region||<Not assigned>||2012-12-06|
|Estrie Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-14|
|Gaspésie -- Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||<Not assigned>||2010-12-31|
|Lanaudière Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-19|
|Laurentides Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-02|
|Laval Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2013-05-06|
|Mauricie Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-16|
|Montérégie Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-22|
|Montréal Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-21|
|Outaouais Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-11|
|Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-06|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- AG-Bio Centre, the Lévis-based business incubator, just received funding from the Government of Canada. The organization¿s project should enable the creation of approximately 15 business start-ups and the possible creation of 30 jobs. (available in French only)
- Thales (Qu¿bec City) has been awarded a $20M contract by the Department of National Defence. Approximately 50 highly specialized jobs (including programmers and engineers) will be created during the contract term. (available in French only)
- Colo-D, a high-tech business specializing in neutral colocation, is investing $35M in the former Disque Am¿ric building in Drummondville. Twenty-five workers, predominantly computer technicians, are expected to be hired. (available in French only)
- Maerix, a company that specializes in the design of health management, security and environment software, will move into new and much more spacious facilities in Piedmont. This relocation will allow the company to create 5 new jobs. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: