Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Interior designers conceptualize and produce aesthetic, functional and safe designs for interior spaces in residential, commercial, cultural, institutional and industrial buildings. They are employed by architectural firms, interior design firms, retail establishments, construction companies, hospitals, airlines, hotel and restaurant chains, and other establishments or they may be self-employed.
aircraft interior designer, interior design technician, interior designer, kitchen designer, office space planner, project manager, interior design, retail space planner.
- Consult with clients to determine needs, preferences, safety requirements and purpose of space
- Develop detailed plans and 3-D models showing arrangement of walls, dividers, displays, lighting and other fixtures using computer-assisted design (CAD) software and graphics software
- Develop plans, elevations, cross sections and detailed drawings, and advise on selection of colours, finishes and materials, floor and wall coverings, interior and exterior lighting, furniture and other items, taking into account ergonomic and occupational health standards
- Estimate costs and materials required and may advise on leasing, real estate and marketing
- Prepare plans and specifications for the final interior designs in accordance with current practices and codes
- Work in a multidisciplinary environment
- May direct site work crews and subcontractors.
Interior designers may specialize in designing interiors for residential, commercial, institutional, cultural and industrial buildings and for aircraft, ships or trains, trade shows and exhibitions.
Outlook & Prospects for Interior Designers in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Québec.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||<Not assigned>||2011-12-21|
|Côte-Nord Region||<Not assigned>||2012-12-06|
|Estrie Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-14|
|Gaspésie -- Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||<Not assigned>||2010-12-31|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Les Aciers Orford in Sherbrooke, which specializes in the manufacturing and installation of steel, reinforcement and welded wire, will invest $4M to expand. Thirty-some jobs will need to be filled by this summer.
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Ecotierra, a company that specializes in projects that offer carbone credits, has invested $800,000 to set up shop in Sherbrooke. Five jobs were created. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Three European companies in aeronautics will open offices in Montreal, leading to the creation of 150 positions in the next three years. The majority of the jobs will be related to engineering. (available in French only)
- The Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières will gain a new $1.4M research chair on small or medium-sized enterprises (available in French only)
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- Mobilock, a Terrebonne company developing an electronic lock intended for electronic monitoring on construction sites, has been granted an aid from the Gouvernement du Québec to achieve this project. Four jobs will be created for the short term. (available in French only)
- Groupe Infoplus of Drummonville, which specializes in computing solutions, has invested $1.2M to relocate and expand (available in French only)
- Date Modified: