Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Opticians fit clients with prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses, assist clients in the selection of eyeglass frames, arrange for the production of eyeglasses or contact lenses and mount lenses in eyeglass frames. They are employed in optical retail outlets or other establishments with optical dispensing departments, or they may be self-employed. Student opticians and opticians who are managers of optical retail outlets are included in this group.
contact lens fitter, contact lens technician, dispensing optician, ophthalmic dispenser, optician.
- Obtain specifications for eyeglasses or contact lenses from a prescription prepared by an ophthalmologist or optometrist or by analyzing the client's eyeglasses or contact lenses and by measuring client's eye curvature, pupillary distance and bridge width, using optical measuring devices
- Assist clients in selecting eyeglasses by advising on lens materials, frames, tints and anti-reflection coating
- Advise on use and care of contact lenses
- Arrange for grinding and polishing of lenses or grind and polish lenses
- Cut and edge lenses and fit lenses into frames
- Adjust finished eyeglasses to fit client
- May supervise or manage the activities of other opticians or student opticians.
Outlook & Prospects for Opticians in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Outaouais Region||<Not assigned>||2012-10-10|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Daycare service La Casa Tropical/Maison des Enfants was built in Saint-Denis-de-Brompton thanks to an $800,000 investment. Eight employees have been hired.
- Espace Vie King Est, a new $2M building project, will launch in October in Sherbrooke at the corner of King Est and Curtis. The building will include retail space, offices and residential units. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Resolute Forest Products papermill in Gatineau resumes production; 125 workers return to work. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- A $469,000 training project aims to develop skills among owners of outfitting businesses in the Outaouais. $8.3M in economic spin-offs are anticipated along with a potential dozen or so new jobs. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The golf course of Sainte-Marie in the Outaouais region has stopped its activities. Nearly a dozen seasonal employees are now without a job for the new season. (available in French only)
- A new elementary school is being built in Cantley, which represents an investment estimated at $10.8M. The establishment should be welcoming 425 students by September 2014. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: