Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Mathematicians and statisticians research mathematical or statistical theories, and develop and apply mathematical or statistical techniques, for solving problems in such fields as science, engineering, business and social science. Actuaries apply mathematics, statistics, probability and risk theory to assess potential financial impacts of future events. Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries are employed by universities, governments, bank and trust companies, insurance companies, pension benefit consulting firms, professional associations and science and engineering consulting firms.
actuary, biostatistician, consulting actuary, demographer, insurance actuary, mathematician, statistical analyst, statistician.
- Mathematicians conduct research to extend mathematical knowledge in traditional areas of mathematics such as algebra, geometry, probability and logic and apply mathematical techniques to the solution of problems in scientific fields such as physical science, engineering, computer science or other fields such as operations research, business or management.
- Statisticians conduct research into the mathematical basis of the science of statistics, develop statistical methodology and advise on the practical application of statistical methodology. They also apply statistical theory and methods to provide information in scientific and other fields such as biological and agricultural science, business and economics, physical sciences and engineering, and the social sciences.
- Actuaries apply mathematical models to forecast and calculate the probable future costs of insurance and pension benefits. They design life, health, and property insurance policies, and calculate premiums, contributions and benefits for insurance policies, and pension and superannuation plans. They may assist investment fund managers in portfolio asset allocation decisions and risk management. They also use these techniques to provide legal evidence on the value of future earnings.
Outlook & Prospects for Mathematicians, Statisticians and Actuaries in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Outaouais Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-10|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Outaouais region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Oct 28 - Nov 01, 2013
- A $1.3M, investment is enabling an indoor recycling plant to be opened in L¿Ange-Gardien in the Outaouais region (available in French only)
- A new Benny&Co. franchise will be opening its doors in March 2014 in Gatineau, leading to the creation of approximately 40 jobs. The project represents a $2M investment. (available in French only)
- Cassidian Communications is centralizing its business in Gatineau's Technoparc des Hautes-Plaines. The equipment supplier expects to expand its workforce from 145 to 200 employees over the next three years. (available in French only)
- The City of Gatineau will be moving forward with its project to rebuild the waste water plant and sanitary pumping station. The project is estimated at $115M and will create 67 jobs over the next six years. (available in French only)
- A grant of $2.3M will see the construction of two housing projects involving 115 affordable units for families and single persons in the Aylmer sector of Gatineau (available in French only)
- Date Modified: