Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Metallurgical and materials engineers conduct studies of the properties and characteristics of metals and other non-metallic materials and plan, design and develop machinery and processes to concentrate, extract, refine and process metals, alloys and other materials such as ceramics, semiconductors and composite materials. Metallurgical and materials engineers are employed in consulting engineering firms, mining, metal processing and manufacturing companies, and in government, research and educational institutions.
ceramics engineer, corrosion engineer, electrometallurgical engineer, foundry engineer, hydrometallurgical engineer, materials engineer, metallurgical engineer, physical metallurgical engineer, pyrometallurgical engineer, welding engineer.
- Conduct studies and design, develop and specify the processes, and machinery to concentrate, extract, refine and process metals from ores
- Conduct studies on the properties and characteristics of materials and design, develop and specify processes for moulding, shaping, forming and thermal treatment of metals, alloys and metallic systems, ceramics, semiconducting and other materials
- Conduct chemical and physical analytical studies, failure analyses and other studies and recommend material selection, design of materials, corrosion control measures, operational testing and other procedures
- Co-ordinate production testing and control of metal refining, smelting or foundry operations or non-metallic materials production operations
- Supervise technologists, technicians and other engineers and scientists.
Outlook & Prospects for Metallurgical and Materials Engineers in Outaouais Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Outaouais Region||<Not assigned>||2012-10-10|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Daycare service La Casa Tropical/Maison des Enfants was built in Saint-Denis-de-Brompton thanks to an $800,000 investment. Eight employees have been hired.
- Espace Vie King Est, a new $2M building project, will launch in October in Sherbrooke at the corner of King Est and Curtis. The building will include retail space, offices and residential units. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Resolute Forest Products papermill in Gatineau resumes production; 125 workers return to work. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- A $469,000 training project aims to develop skills among owners of outfitting businesses in the Outaouais. $8.3M in economic spin-offs are anticipated along with a potential dozen or so new jobs. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The golf course of Sainte-Marie in the Outaouais region has stopped its activities. Nearly a dozen seasonal employees are now without a job for the new season. (available in French only)
- A new elementary school is being built in Cantley, which represents an investment estimated at $10.8M. The establishment should be welcoming 425 students by September 2014. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: