Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
chipper-grinder, forge helper, grinder-deburrer, labourer – metal fabrication, metal cleaner, metalworking machine helper, plater helper, shipfitter helper, shotblaster, wheelabrator operator.
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Mauricie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Mauricie region are expected to be limited for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- On May 31st, chair plant Rosaire St-Yves of Yamachiche was destroyed in a violent blaze and a dozen people lost their jobs (available in French only)
- Recruiting record of 194 nurses and licensed practical nurses at CSSS of Trois-Rivières in the last year (available in French only)
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- The Ville de Shawinigan will restore some of its infrastructure at a cost of more than $16.3M (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- In Trois-Rivières, the Résidences du manoir are investing $7M in a project intended to add 70 living units for independent retirees. The project will also create five jobs. (available in French only)
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- The Trifluvien veterinary hospital will open on May 21 in Trois-Rivières, creating at least eight jobs (available in French only)
- Date Modified: