Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
chipper-grinder, forge helper, grinder-deburrer, labourer – metal fabrication, metal cleaner, metalworking machine helper, plater helper, shipfitter helper, shotblaster, wheelabrator operator.
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Mauricie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Mauricie Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2012-11-23|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Mauricie region are expected to be limited for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Feb 24 - Feb 28, 2014
- In the Mauricie region, $2.4M will be spent on infrastructure upgrades at the Mastigouche and Saint-Maurice wildlife preserves, creating 12 direct and 10 indirect jobs. (available in French only)
- Following a $3.5M expansion, the ADF Diesel engine machining and assembly centre in Saint-Stanislas plans to create from 10 to 15 new jobs, after hiring 8 new employees in the past six months (available in French only)
- In Shawinigan, the Epsilia software design firm expects a major increase in sales that could lead to 20 new hires within three years (available in French only)
- In Shawinigan, online game developer Alchemic Dream expects to hire another twenty or so employees by the end of the year (available in French only)
- The Desjardins Youth Work Experience program will provide 12 young people from the Maskinongé RCM with a job this summer (available in French only)
- La Coop fédérée has announced that it will close its distribution centre in Trois-Rivières within 15 months and that 236 people will lose their jobs (available in French only)
- As a result of a $1,575,000 project announced on February 7 at Boiseries Leblanc of Louiseville, 11 skilled jobs will be added to the company (available in French only)
- More than 250 summer jobs are to be filled in Trois-Rivières for day camp counsellors, guides, park supervisors, grounds attendants and lifeguards (available in French only)
- Automation Mauricie, in Trois-Rivières, announced a $4.3M investment to acquire equipment and 30-some jobs will be added to the 70 existing ones (available in French only)
- Kongsberg Automotive, in Shawinigan, announced a $1.4M investment to create a centre of excellence in electronics, which will create jobs for engineers and technicians (available in French only)
- The Chocolats Favoris chocolate factory will be investing more than $500,000 in Trois-Rivières by the time it opens in the spring, creating at least 30 jobs, some of which will be summer jobs (available in French only)
- A hundred jobs will be created over the next five years in Shawinigan with the arrival of electric terminal manufacturer AddÉnergie Technologie, set to open its plant with a $21M price tag (available in French only)
- Date Modified: