Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers who operate vehicles and equipment to maintain streets, highways and sewer systems and operate garbage trucks to remove garbage and refuse. They are employed by municipal, provincial and federal public works departments and by private contractors under contract with government public works departments.
garbage truck driver, municipal maintenance equipment operator, public works maintenance equipment operator, salt truck operator, sand spreader operator, sanitation truck driver, sewer flusher operator-driver – public works, sewer-flushing truck operator, snow removal equipment operator – public works, street flusher operator, street sweeper operator, street sweeper operator – public works.
- Operate garbage trucks to remove garbage and other refuse and dump loads at designated sites
- Operate street cleaning equipment such as street sweepers or other vehicles equipped with rotating brushes to remove sand, litter and trash
- Operate snowploughs or trucks fitted with plough blades to remove snow from streets, highways, parking lots and similar areas
- Operate sewer maintenance equipment such as rodders and sewer jet cleaners to maintain and repair sewer systems
- Operate trucks equipped with road sanding and other similar apparatus
- Check, lubricate, refuel and clean equipment and report any malfunctions to supervisor.
Outlook & Prospects for Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators in Mauricie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Mauricie Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-21|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Mauricie region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- In Trois-Rivi¿res, the number of jobs will double at the Gexel call centre, which plans to add around 120 employees between next January and June (available in French only)
- In Mauricie, Groupe RCM announced that the 183 jobs of this recycling company had been saved as a result of a partnership with Soleno and financial assistance from the Government of Québec (available in French only)
- A sixth ecocentre will open in Trois-Rivières in the fall of 2013 at a cost of $1.2M (available in French only)
- In Trois-Rivières, the Gexel call centre is looking for 60 candidates (available in French only)
- Since spring, the Groupe RCM of Yamachiche has laid off twenty-some people (available in French only)
- Date Modified: