Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Machining tool operators set up and operate or tend metal-cutting machines designed for repetitive machining work. They are employed by metal products and other manufacturing companies and in machine shops. This unit group also includes workers who etch or chemically mill metal pieces.
CNC machining tool operator, aircraft parts etcher, boring mill operator – metal machining, lathe machining operator, machining tool operator, milling machine set-up operator, production gear cutter, production grinder operator – metal machining, radial drill operator – metal machining.
- Study job orders and interpret blueprints to determine machining operations to be performed
- Set up and operate machine tools to perform repetitive machining operations, such as turning, milling, drilling, boring, planing, honing, broaching, grinding or other machining operations
- Verify dimensions of parts machined using micrometers, callipers and other precision measuring instruments
- Prepare etching solution and immerse metal parts or workpiece in etching solution to remove unwanted portions
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment and machinery
- May enter codes specifying speed, feed and cut of the toolpath for computer numerical controlled (CNC) machine tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Machining Tool Operators in Nunavut
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Ice Wireless has announced the launch of high-speed wireless service for smartphones and tablets in Iqaluit. The company currently has two towers in the city providing 3G connectivity, with the potential for 4G speeds to southern regions.
- Nunavut fishers will have increased opportunities to catch Greenland halibut off the northeast coast of Baffin Island in 2014. The total allowable catch increase of 1,500 tonnes will be awarded entirely to the Nunavummiut.
- Nunavut regulators have approved the Nanasivik Naval Facility near the Arctic bay. Construction will being next year.
- Arviat has been running a local diamond-driller training program through Northern College. Of the 43 graduates since 2011, 60% are currently employed in the field.
- Date Modified: