Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Elevator constructors and mechanics assemble, install, maintain and repair freight and passenger elevators, escalators, moving walkways and other related equipment. They are employed by elevator construction and maintenance companies.
- Read and interpret blueprints to determine layout of system components
- Perform preparatory construction work including steel work, wiring and piping
- Install elevators, escalators, moving walkways, dumbwaiters and related equipment according to specifications
- Connect car frames to counterweights with cables and assemble elevator cars
- Install and wire electric and electronic control system devices
- Install, test and adjust safety control devices
- Test operation of newly installed equipment
- Troubleshoot electrical or mechanical systems failures
- Disassemble defective units and repair or replace worn or suspect parts
- Adjust valves, ratchets, seals, brake linings and other components
- Carry out preventative maintenance programs to ensure public safety.
Elevator constructors and mechanics may specialize in construction, maintenance or repair.
Wages for Elevator Constructors and Mechanics in Northwest Territories
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
- Date Modified: