Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters fabricate, assemble, fit and install steel or other metal components for buildings, bridges, tanks, towers, boilers, pressure vessels and other similar structures and products. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants and by heavy machinery manufacturing and shipbuilding companies.
metal fabricator, plater, platework fitter, shipfitter, shipfitter apprentice, steel fabricator, structural steel fitter.
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints, determine the materials required, and plan the sequence of tasks to cut metal most efficiently
- Construct patterns and templates as guides for layouts
- Lay out reference points and patterns on heavy metal according to component specifications
- Rig, hoist and move materials to storage areas or within worksite
- Assemble and fit metal sections and plates to form complete units or subunits using tack welding, bolting, riveting or other methods
- Set up and operate various heavy-duty metal-working machines such as brake presses, shears, cutting torches, grinders and drills, including computer numerical control (CNC) equipment, to bend, cut, form, punch, drill or otherwise form heavy-metal components
- Install fabricated components in final product.
Outlook & Prospects for Structural Metal and Platework Fabricators and Fitters in Yukon Territory
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Updated report states that the Casino Mine Project in the Yukon will create 1,600 construction jobs and 600 permanent jobs when production hits its peak
- The Yukon government has authorized Victoria Gold Corporation to move to the final stages of licensing for its Eagle Gold project, which will create 400 jobs at full operation. Pending regulatory approval, construction will begin this summer.
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
Week of Jan 21 – Jan 25, 2013
- Date Modified: