Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Probation officers monitor the conduct and behaviour of criminal offenders serving probation terms. Parole officers monitor the reintegration of criminal offenders serving the remainder of sentences while conditionally released into the community on parole. Classification officers assess inmates and develop rehabilitation programs for criminal offenders who are incarcerated in correctional facilities. They are employed by federal and provincial governments and work in the community and in correctional facilities.
case manager – corrections, classification officer, correctional institution, parole officer, probation officer, youth worker – corrections.
- Interview offenders, police, family, friends, school authorities and employers to prepare pre-sentence reports and assess offenders' prospects for successful reintegration into the community
- Plan rehabilitation programs with offenders, establishing rules of conduct, goals and objectives
- Refer offenders to community and social service programs, as required
- Supervise the terms of a probation order and attend court
- Interview probationers and parolees regularly to evaluate their progress in accomplishing goals and maintaining the terms specified in their probation contracts and rehabilitation plans
- Recommend remedial action or initiate court action when terms of probation or parole are violated
- May perform administrative duties and supervise support staff
- May participate in policy development.
- Interview inmates to assess adjustment problems and develop suitable rehabilitation programs
- Prepare classification reports recommending type of incarceration and types of interventions considered most beneficial for the rehabilitation of the inmates
- Plan rehabilitation programs with offenders, identifying needs and setting out goals and objectives
- Liaise with the inmates' families and contacts in the community to maintain established bonds outside of the institution
- Advise and counsel inmates regarding their problems and evaluate their progress.
Outlook & Prospects for Probation and Parole Officers and Related Occupations in Yukon Territory
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Yukon.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
Week of Jan 21 – Jan 25, 2013
Week of Dec 31 – Jan 04, 2012
- Resuming on January 18, 2013
Week of Dec 10 – Dec 14, 2012
- Construction of Dawson City Hospital is nearing completion, with operations set to begin in May 2013. The new facility will create employment opportunities for up to 30 people and enhance acute care services in northern Yukon.
- Date Modified: