Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in mechanical engineering fields such as the design, development, maintenance and testing of machines, components, tools, heating and ventilating systems, power generation and power conversion plants, manufacturing plants and equipment. They are employed by consulting engineering, manufacturing and processing companies, institutions and government departments.
HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) technologist, aeronautical technologist, heating designer, machine designer, marine engineering technologist, mechanical engineering technician, mechanical engineering technologist, mechanical technologist, mould designer, thermal station technician, tool and die designer, tool designer.
- Prepare and interpret conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings, and specifications for machines and components, power transmission systems, process piping, heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems
- Prepare cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Conduct tests and analyses of machines, components and materials to determine their performance, strength, response to stress and other characteristics
- Design moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Inspect mechanical installations and construction
- Prepare contract and tender documents
- Supervise, monitor and inspect mechanical installations and construction projects
- Prepare standards and schedules and supervise mechanical maintenance programs or operations of mechanical plants.
- Assist in preparing conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings and specifications
- Carry out a limited range of mechanical tests and analyses of machines, components and materials
- Assist in the design of moulds, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes
- Assist in inspection of mechanical installations and construction projects
- Participate in the installation, repair and maintenance of machinery and equipment.
Outlook & Prospects for Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians in Yukon Territory
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Yukon Territory||<Not assigned>||2008-07-21|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- The Government of Yukon has reached an agreement with the Vuntut Gwitchin Government to construct the Old Crow winter road this year, the first time the road has been built since 2004. The construction, which will be managed by the Vuntut Gwitchin, is expected to be complete by February 24, 2014, with the road remaining open until March 17th.
- Air North has announced that it will begin a new service from Whitehorse to Yellowknife and then on to Ottawa beginning in early 2014. The flights will run twice per week, with the service creating 10 new Yukon-based jobs.
- The Yukon Shine Distillery in Whitehorse is planning market expansion following a funding commitment
- The Yukon has pledge $5.8M to the Centre for Northern Innovation in Mining, which will allow the centre to expand its mining training programs
- Date Modified: